OVirt 3.3 release-management
These are tentative planning dates and may change
- General availability: 2013-09-04
- Beta release: 2013-07-18
- Feature freeze: 2013-07-17
- oVirt 3.3 Test Day: 2013-07-24
- RC Build: 2013-08-14
Tracker bug: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/918494
- All sources must be available on ovirt.org
- MUST: No blockers on the lower level components - libvirt, lvm,device-mapper,qemu-kvm, Jboss, postgres, iscsi-initiator
- Current blocker list:
- MUST: All image related operations work - copy, move, import, export, snapshot (vm and template)
- MUST: Ovirt/host installation should work flawlessly (w/o SSL)
- MUST: Fully operational flow (define DC hierarchy so you can run vm) with GUI/CLI/Python-API/REST-API
- MUST: vm life-cycle is working flawlessly (start,suspend,resume,stop,migrate)
- MUST: Upgrade from previous release
- MUST: ovirt-node full cycle (register, approve and running VM)
- MUST: No known data corruptors
- Current list of data corruptors:
- MUST: Can define NFS, iSCSI, FC and local based storage domains
- MUST: Can define VLAN based networks, bond interfaces, and have VLANs over bonded interfaces
- MUST: Can authenticate users against at least one external LDAP server
- MUST: Can run multiple VMs
- MUST: Can connect to VMs using SPICE
- MUST: VM watchdog support
- MUST: Predictable host timeouts for HA fencing
- MUST: MoM integration- KSM verification
- MUST: Have Release Notes with feature specific information
- MUST: Have updated quick start guide available
- MUST: No regressions from 3.1 Release
- MUST: Have release announcement for front page of ovirt.org and for mailing lists
- SHOULD: Can run full cycle with gluster storage
- SHOULD: have updated installation guide available
- SHOULD: Scheduling API.
- SHOULD: MoM integration- ballooning.
- SHOULD: Alerts when balloon not supported by guest
- SHOULD: (scheduling API first) VM affinity
- SHOULD: (scheduling API first) VM not getting minimum guaranteed memory
Features Status Table
Feature Table Mapping
- Must - feature absense will delay the release
- Should - feature absense won't delay the release
* Red - Feature isn't in code base yet.
* Orange - Feature is in code base but not completed yet.
* Green - Feature is in code base and ready for testing.
date complete feature is merged in code base
base description on how to test the new feature - should be relevant for test day
Features being considered for inclusion/already in master:
- Features/RAM Snapshots
- Features/noVNC console
- Features/Device Custom Properties
- Features/Migration Network
- Features/Normalized ovirtmgmt Initialization
- Feature/NetworkReloaded reimplementation of configNetwork in vdsm. Should have zero (0) effect on users, but required for future support for ovs/NM
- Features/Multiple Gateways configure more gateways on host, on top of the default one.
- Enable online virtual drive resize
- Virtio-SCSI support
- Read Only Disks
- Edit Connection Properties
- Adding VDSM hooks for hotplugging/unplugging a disk
- Separating "Move" vm operation to "Copy" and "Delete" operations to improve VM availability
- Backup and Restore API for Independent Software Vendors
- Allow resign/force re-election of SPM
- Disks Block Alignment
- Integration with Glance
SLA & Scheduling
- Features/oVirt_scheduler Wrapping scheduling functionalities as a separate package
- Features/Scheduling_API (depends on Features/oVirt_scheduler) exposing user-level scheduling API
- Features/Gluster Hooks Management Managing gluster hooks from console
- Status : In Progress
- gerrit :
- Universal Node Image make the ovirt-node image generic for use with non-oVirt Projects
- Node VDSM Plugin extract all vdsm and oVirt Engine specific code from ovirt-node into a plugin
- oVirt Node works on a different asynchronous release schedule from the rest of oVirt.
- At the time of the oVirt 3.3 release, the current version of ovirt-node will be 3.0.0.
- Feature for oVirt node 3.0.0 can be found on the oVirt Node 3.0.0 release page
- (MUST) Features/Otopi_Infra_Migration A complete re-write of engine-setup, engine-cleanup, engine-upgrade and AIO plugin using otopi.
- (SHOULD) Features/Self_Hosted_Engine The ability to run the Engine as a VM on the hosts that are managed by this Engine, in an HA configuration, when the Engine VM can start on any of the hosts.
- User Portal performance improvements for IE8
- Branding support
- Frontend Clean-up/Refactoring (at least partial/first phase) Features/Design/FrontendRefactor
- Upgrade Google Web Toolkit & related framework versions