Project Proposal - oVirt Engine Disaster Recovery (oVirt Engine DR)
oVirt Engine DR is a web application, that uses Java + Ovirt API + MariaDB, to perform the task needed to recover from a Disaster Recovery.
Owner and Initial Maintainers
- José Eduardo Andrade Escobar firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jorge Luis Andrade Escobar email@example.com
- Luis Armando Pérez Marín firstname.lastname@example.org
- This project is in incubation.
- Last updated: Feb 18 2017
- It’s been modified to use new feature of ovirt API, and uses 100% API, to change storage connections.
oVirt Engine DR currently exists as an independent open source project hosted on github. This wiki page will gather input on whether oVirt Engine DR should become an oVirt sub-project and (if so) how best to integrate it into the oVirt stack.
- Mailing list: devel
oVirt Engine DR, uses oVirt API and perform tasks that would require manual intervention, in case of a Disaster Recovery.
- Disables Power Management for Hosts
- Manual Fence all Hosts in non_responsive state
- Modifies Server Storage Connections (currently directly to Engine Database)
- Activates some Hosts to be able to recover from Disaster
- oVirt Engine DR stores the configuration on a MariaDB database, and let the administrator create other users, that can’t change configuration but can start the procedure.
High-level work items:
- oVirt API, since 3.6.10, supports force option and allows us to change storage connection for DR.
oVirt Engine DR is a written in java and should probably be packaged independently.
- The application was designed to be run on a different machine that the engine, this was a requirement for an specific customer.
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (Apache-2.0) http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
Benefit to oVirt
We have seen that most of the tasks needed to be executed in order succesfully move to an alternative site in case of a Disaster, requires a deep knowledge of oVirt, scripting, an API usage. This application eliminates the complexity for a regular oVirt user, and will provide an easy to use interface to perform the tasks.
oVirt Engine DR, use the oVirt API, any changes made to the API, affects our project.
Tested on oVirt / RHV 3.6.10 4.1.0
At this time there’s going to be a new portal, that the user can access. In order to use the application. And should be installed on a different Machine that the engine runs on.
- Play framework
There is no user friendly solution to perform this complex task.
oVirt Engine DR is documented in the source, this project implemements, approach #2, presented on this slides DevConf.cz - 2014 Disaster Recovery Strategies Using oVirt’s new Storage Connection Management Features
A current RPM for testing is available for Centos/RHEL 7, check github repo.